Wednesday, May 4, 2016

It's Bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S (recipe for healthy banana bread)

Yes I'm nuts about banana bread...there I said it, I LOVE my mom's homemade banana bread recipe but it uses oil & sugar and things that I really try not to eat too often. So, I'm always searching and trying recipes, and I knew I had made one a few months back that really turned out great. I'm somewhat of a banana hoarder and that drives my husband crazy, but when they get brown and overly ripe to eat, they are PERFECT for baking because they naturally sweeten just about anything. Anyway, I found this recipe on Pinterest (are you seeing a trend here? I LOVE that website!) and it has pretty simple ingredients, you don't have to buy everything in the health food aisle to bake this bread, it's mostly all things I generally have on hand in the pantry and I love recipes like that! So, with no further a due, here is a super tasty, simple, & healthful banana bread recipe!


photo credit: positively mommy


Sugar Free Banana Bread


recipe by Positively Mommy

Ingredients:

- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (warm it up in the microwave so it's in liquid form- takes about 20-30 secs)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt

Method:

Mash your bananas either in your mixer, or with a potato masher until almost liquefied. Add each of the ingredients in the order listed, mixing a little in between each addition. Pour into a well greased (of course I use butter) loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool completely before slicing. I wrapped mine in parchment paper and then put it in a ziploc bag to store in the refrigerator, it will keep for 10 days, but I'm sure ours will be gone before then!

*** I doubled this recipe, because when you are baking with gluten free flour it tends not to rise like a normal flour. By doubling this recipe it filled my loaf pan and rose just enough that it was a full loaf. I also had to bake longer due to twice the amount of mixture, because mine was still very jiggly in the middle at 45 mins, and again at 1 hr. Mine got pretty browned on the top by the time it was done baking, so I would put foil over the top after an hour next time, but it tasted INCREDIBLE!!!


This is my bread, and it's upside down in this photo...tasted AMAZING

This bread has no added sugar but was so sweet tasting I literally had to refer to the recipe to make sure there wasn't maple syrup or something in it haha. The trick is to use overly ripe bananas because they are so naturally sweet. This bread was quick & easy, and works great as a breakfast bread, or snack! Give this recipe a try, I'm quite impressed. 



 Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment