Thursday, August 18, 2016

Hi I'm Jenn...and I'm a Chocoholic (2 yummy treat recipes)

This week I have had a serious hankerin' for some chocolate! For me chocolate is the answer to pretty much everything. When I'm trying to keep my nutrition on point I have a favorite recipe that both kicks my chocolate craving to the curb while nourishing my body. When I want a yummy treat and I don't care if it's good for my health...I go for something sinful! This week I've already had both...and it's not even Friday! 



My daughter takes an interest in the kitchen which both makes me proud, and also frustrated because it's harder to stay strong when there are treats around the house! She has a fondness for Pinterest much like myself, and this week she found the "Copycat Wendy's Frosty" recipe. I had probably pinned this myself about 3 years ago but never made it. The beauty of this recipe is it literally has 3 ingredients...the downside is that it tastes so good I can't stop eating it! In our family it's always been a tradition to make homemade ice cream for birthdays, I always take it to the next level with some crazy homemade cake to go alongside. We are no strangers to homemade ice cream, and if you've never had it, you're totally missing out. However, everyone generally prefers vanilla ice cream, or cookies & cream...so most of my experience is with these flavors. Our ice cream maker bit the dust after a birthday last year, so for our Wendy's Frosty recipe, I borrowed my mom's. She has the Cuisinart 2 Qt. automatic ice cream maker, and after using that, I don't think I can go back to my electric ice cream maker that calls for ice, ice cream salt, & a more time consuming mess to go with it!



So, without further delay...the recipe- this recipe is for a 2 quart machine, so adjust from there as needed!

3 Ingredient Copycat Wendy's Frosty


  • 6 oz. whipped topping
  • 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 gallon chocolate milk



Method:

I  mixed the whipped topping & sweetened condensed milk together first in a bowl with a whisk. Then I added in about 4 cups of the chocolate milk and whisked that together. I emptied these contents into the bowl of the ice cream machine, and fitted the auger & lid on, then we poured more chocolate milk in up to the fill line. We didn't use a whole 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk for the recipe, but different ice cream makers might take more. Then you turn on the ice cream machine, and walk away to watch the new episode of Pretty Little Liars, which is what we did. About 20 minutes later, it was ready to go! We like our frosty's the way they serve them at Wendy's, not frozen, more like soft serve. 

Reese mixing up the ingredients

Adding more milk to the fill line

Look at that deliciousness!

These were super simple to make, and oh so delicious! I would say they tasted if not EXACTLY like the real deal, then darn close! We will be making these again.

This is the consistency we were going for

I have the cutest helper!


You're probably wondering what my other recipe is then? I'm happy to answer, I stumbled upon this one again, on Pinterest, and I've been making these for at least the last 3 years when I need a chocolate fix! I call these my peanut butter-chocolate scotchies...they are in no way a scotchie, they don't include rice cereal, but something about that peanut butter & chocolate combo reminds me of them. I found them at New Nostalgia via Pinterest and I vary the way I make mine, but my recipe is adapted from hers. For arguments sake, let's call them Chocolate & PB Oat Bars :D

No Bake Chocolate & PB Oat Bars



  • 1 cup natural peanut butter (I use crunchy bc that's my fav)
  • 2/3 cup raw honey
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 cups gluten free oats (not instant)
  • 1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Method:

I measure out my oats & dark chocolate chips into a bowl and set those aside. On the stove top I put the honey, coconut oil, and peanut butter in a pan and melt together stirring frequently over medium heat. Once melted, I pour the mixture over my oats & chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Then I stir everything using a spatula and pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 dish prepped with parchment paper. Then you smooth everything out, and let it set up in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, depending on how cold your fridge is! Then, cut them into squares and enjoy!! Keep extras in the fridge, they probably freeze well too, but they don't last that long at our house. 


dry ingredients

melted pb, coconut oil, & honey
Don't be fooled by the appearance...these are amazing
These have a fudge like consistency because of the coconut oil, and a little crunch from the peanut butter, and chewiness from the oats...they're DELISH! Now that I'm writing all of this out...I'm thinking it might be best to dip an oat bar INTO a frosty tonight before volleyball!!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment